Need ideas for this year's Valentine's Day without breaking your New Year's resolutions or Sugar Free February? Then try this Salted Caramel & Chocolate Truffle recipe. Like all our products, these sweets are free from refined sugar, gluten and dairy. They’re so delicious, you won’t believe they’re raw and entirely plant based!
- Salted caramel
- 1 cup soft dates (approx. 15 small or 8 large)
- 2 tablespoons raw almond butter or tahini
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp of mylk
- 55g or 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 40g or 1/3 cup raw cacao powder
- To make the salted caramel, put all ingredients into blender and liquidise until it looks like a soft caramel. Add as much mylk as needed to create a creamy, caramel-like texture.
- Boil a pot of water and place a heat-proof bowl on top of it to create a double boiler. Add the coconut oil to the bowl and let it slowly melt from the heat.
- Once melted, whisk in the raw cacao powder and the salted caramel until it creates a smooth, thick ganache. Place the bowl in the fridge to set for at least an hour. Placing it in the freezer will help it set faster, if you’re in a hurry.
- When the ganache is set, it should be firm but malleable. Roll about 1 tsp of the mixture into a ball (the coconut oil will melt in your hands very easily so it can get a bit messy!) then dip it into the coating of your choice. Move it around and press the coating onto the truffle until it's fully covered.
- Place onto a baking sheet with greaseproof paper and when you've made all the truffles, let them set in the fridge for about 30 minutes to firm up before eating.
- These truffles will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days (yeah right!). Enjoy!
- Dr Gaye Super-Spoonful - for some crunch and texture
- Dr Gaye Super-Golden - for a spicy kick
- Raw cacao powder - keeping it simple
- Slivers of date and a sprinkle of beetroot powder – pink for Valentine's Day
- Hulled hemp for an earthy contrast to the sweet chocolate
Experiment with what you love. Top tip: if you use desiccated coconut you can colour that using a number of foods, such as turmeric to make it yellow, or raw cacao to make it brown. Play and have fun!