We recently bought some local organic strawberries at the market which were small, tart and past their prime. So, what did we do? Turned them into compote! We kept it simple by adding just a little bit of coconut sugar – that’s it! Rather than throw over-ripe fruit, cook it gently with a little coconut sugar and keep it in the fridge. You can use it like a jam (but way less sugar) or serve it over yogurt or nice cream. This recipe is simple, all natural, and sugar free!
- 1 lb of fresh organic fruit (we used strawberries)
- 2 tbsp organic coconut sugar (depends on the sweetness of the fruit)
- Cut the fruit into smaller bite-size pieces if large.
- Gently cook the fruit over low-medium heat (simmering but not boiling) in a pan with coconut sugar. Cook until liquid is gone, approx. 40 minutes.
- Let it cool and transfer into a jar. Keep refrigerated.
- Serve with yogurt, nice cream or any dessert!